A social skills enrichment program for primary students is a unique social thinking program that encourages children to think about how to get along with others and explore the benefits of developing new social skills. What’s the Buzz? is targeted at young people aged 6 – 12 years.
This highly structured, role-play and play-based program is designed to teach children how to think socially and make friendship work. The program engages children into feeling friendship together, it encourages them to see it, taste it, smell it and laugh with each other. It connects young people and offers them the skills to belong.
What’s the Buzz? is delivered through direct teaching, role-play, quizzes and fun in the context of an encouraging group.
A summary of each lesson and its key social principle is presented below. A vital component of successfully teaching social skills is clearly communicating the underlying social principles to all involved.
Gold Foundation offers two ‘What’s the Buzz’ Programs:
What’s the Buzz? For Early Learners (6-8); and
What’s the Buzz? For Primary Students (9-12).
Click on the lesson titles below to see these details. You can click on the title a second time to hide the details and reduce the clutter.
What's the Buzz? for Early Learners Lesson List
- Lesson 1: Meeting people and discovering differences!
- Lesson 2: Joining in
- Lesson 3: Sharing and taking turns
- Lesson 4: Cooperation
- Lesson 5: Waiting
- Lesson 6: Making it better
- Lesson 7: Winning and losing – ‘gracefully’
- Lesson 8: Fact or opinion: staying friendly over different ideas
- Lesson 9: working with feelings
- Lesson 10: angry feelings
- Lesson 11: building healthy bodies, happy minds and steady feelings
- Lesson 12: honesty – ‘telling the truth’
- Lesson 13: Saying, “No”
- Lesson 14: Empathy
- Lesson 15: Worry – knowing about it, and dealing with it
- Lesson 16: Time to say goodbye
What's the Buzz?Primary Students Lesson List
- Lesson 1: meeting people and exiting
- Lesson 2: getting attention
- Lesson 3: following instructions
- Lesson 4: being friendly
- Lesson 5: competition, winning and losing
- Lesson 6: identifying feelings
- Lesson 7: feelings; the warning signs
- Lesson 8: feelings and thinking positively
- Lesson 9: feelings; ideas to create wellbeing
- Lesson 10: empathy, responding to others
- Lesson 11: handling worry
- Lesson 12: dealing with disappointment
- Lesson 13: responding to bullying behaviours
- Lesson 14: the connecting art of conversation
- Lesson 15: learning to ‘fit in’
- Lesson 16: giving and receiving compliments
An additional resource
49 SNAP Playing Cards
You can find more information on the content of the programs here
If you are interested in any of these programs, please contact us on firstname.lastname@example.org or 0455 888 154.
What’s the Buzz? is written by Mark LeMessurier & Madhavi Nawana Parker.